How to burst a bubble


It is the last night of my Summer Holiday. 6 weeks of exploring and relaxing are coming to a close.

At the end of a long trip or a long holiday I like to end with a night or two in a swanky place. My philosophy is keep it cheap and cheerful most of the time and then blow the savings on one tremendously fabulous place at the end of the trip so you go out on a high. Sharing a dorm with 6 farting Swiss students as I did in Seoul earlier that Summer seemed worthwhile when I thought of the saving going towards somewhere wonderful.

And on this occasion that somewhere wonderful was to be the Art Hotel in Rome. Just behind the Spanish Steps and next door to the property where Gregory Peck lived in the film 'Roman Holiday', this was a nice chic boutique option and I was looking forward to it tremendously.

The Reception had an art installation with dry ice bubbling out of it and the staff were in these 50s-futuristic pod things. The room was very smart, the bed wonderfully cosy and I was very happy with it all.

Part of the Art Hotel design concept is that each floor is themed to a colour. The lighting is tastefully discreet and artistic musings are etched in neat caligtaphy into the walls. This is a photo of my corridor. Others were lime green, navy blue and yellow.

How burst my bubble was when I showed my friend this picture of where we'd stayed and she said "Ooh lovely... You got the easyjet floor".

Comments