It's OK to have second thoughts!


Do first impressions last? Let’s find out.
After a first listen, here is my the ranking order based on the scores I gave them at first hearing. Now is time to listen to them in ranked order and see if I agree with my first judgements. Remember… only the top ten get points from the other countries, so who would I award my points to? The UK comes top of the list but as I have no judgement when it comes to the UK song it must sit to one side. As a Brit, I can't vote for it on the night anyway.

1 Ukraine
2 Moldova
3 Albania
4 Greece
5 France
6 Norway
7 Estonia
8 Romania
9 Turkey
10 Germany

Nearly but not scoring

11 Azerbaijan
12 Armenia
13 Hungary
14 Spain
15 Montenegro
16 Lithuania
17 Netherlands
18 FYR Macedonia
19 Portugal


I was quite surprised by looking at this list. I remember thinking highly of the Armenian song. I spent most of yesterday wishing I wasn’t humming the Montenegrin song, so how come neither of them is in my Top Ten?

The UK: Dare I say ‘pedestrian’?

I still think the Moldovan song is great, but I loved the Croatian entry about High Heels, so this really is a very personal taste!

Albania was more pumped than I remembered. The Greek song doesn’t flow well and is very repetitive. The French song is classy but the Estonian entry has much greater depth and ambition.
Romania: What was I thinking?! Both Turkey and Armenia, are superior and I now doubt this will qualify for the final.

This is how I would now rank the songs, and these are the points I would award them. To be honest, from Hungary down, I could have given these points to any of the other 36 non-entity entries.

12 Ukraine
10 Albania
8 Estonia
7 Armenia
6 Turkey
5 Norway
4 Moldova
3 Greece
2 Hungary
1 France

Nearly but not scoring

Germany
Spain
Montenegro
Lithuania

Comments