Country 4: Switzerland

Those who wish to patronise Switzerland will remind you that 800 years of peaceful, civilised democracy only gave the world chocolate and the cuckoo clock.

What they don’t tell you is that peaceful, civilised, democratic Switzerland only gave women the vote in 1973. This is the sort of country where Dell’s marketing will go down a storm.

It is nonetheless the 4th country I ever visited by dint of being in between France and Austria, where I was bound at the tender age of 10.

While I slept through it on my first visit, I have been back three times since. If you discount transitting through a country as visiting it, then Switzerland was still number 4 visited as I was taken back there a year later by my parents. Neutral Switzerland fitted into Dad's 'World-view'.
If I can ever remember anything to say about the place other than the fact that Lugano (pictured) is stunningly beautiful, I may well blog about the place again.

Speaking of Lugano, it was the first ever host city to the Eurovision Song Contest, and Switzerland was the first country to win it with Lys Alyssia. Switzerlands only other victory came with the famous Swiss Quebecois chanteuse, Celine Dion... That’s right viewers, she has not ever had work done!

Comments