Country 28: Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur

This is the continuation of my RTW diary from November 2003.

I spent a few days in Kuala Lumpur. KL is very pleasant, however, unless you have never seen a shop before there is probably little for me to tell you!

Islam is the main religion of Malaysia and I arrived in KL toward the end of the Eid celebration. However I saw one shopping centre pulling down the ‘Salaam Eid-al-fitr’ signs and replacing them with one that said ‘Merry Christmas’, while utilising the same lights and tinsel for both festivals. Secularism, multi-culturalism and capitalism all in action.

Unfortunately the Petronas Towers were closed to the public for the period of Eid. I did have lunch in a revolving restaurant at the top of the Worlds’ 4th largest concrete tower though. The tower actually seemed to be taller than the Petronas Towers and I have to say that for some reason, even though it is claimed that they are the worlds tallest building, I didn’t think that they looked that tall!

Comments