The Decemberisation of Christmas

This is a little rant I found in my RTW diary from November 2003.

Enjoy having a gallop on my hobby horse...

Can we start a campaign for the ‘re-December-isation’ of Christmas?!

I’m already sick of the sight of Christmas trees and the fact that I’m haunted everywhere by easy-listening Muzak versions of ‘Jingle Bells’.

Remember too where I’ve been in the last fortnight. Japan is Buddhist and China is officially an atheist state, yet there is nowhere to escape the cult of encouraging us to spend all our cash for two solid months.

I love Christmastime, but I think that Christmas is more special when it doesn’t last for 8 or 10 weeks. So to keep Christmas magical and to keep all of us sane, it would only take a small amendment to the Bill that regulates shopping hours to disallow shops from playing carols, hanging tinsel, or forcing staff to wear Reindeer headbands anywhere before 1st December. Surely.

Any harking of herald angels singing by a shop in November or even prior to that (Argos put up their Christmas tree displays in August before I left) and it should be forced to close until 1st January. Maybe I’ll put an email petition together over the next few days… Participatory democracy in action. What do you think?!

PS: I saw ‘Master and Commander’ with Russell Crowe while in KL. Quite good fun, but then I love a sea adventure. The most intrusive aspect of Christmas yet however has to be when some pillock behind me had his mobile phone go off, with the ringtone of “We wish you a Merry Christmas”. AAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Comments