Japanese Election Night!

This is the continuation of my RTW diary from November 2003.


If there had been no rugby on, Sunday night would not have been a disaster. I could at least have made do with the Japanese General Election results coverage!

They voted Sunday for the Diet. I wonder if Atkins or Hays will come out on top? Dreadful pun on the fact that Diet is the name of the Japanese Parliament I know but I couldn’t resist. The Diet is pictured.

The Japanese version of David Dimbleby was on after the sumo wrestling, as I got ready to go out for the rugby. They kept cutting from him to the party headquarters in anticipation of the exit poll… to be announced two hours later! Talk about killing time.

The HQs hardly looked ready for a party – just lots of earnest people bent over laptops. Not like Millbank at all then. I wonder if they had a swingometeru or a Japanese Peteru Snowu?

Comments