Kobe Beef... Invisibly reared

This is the continuation of my RTW diary from November 2003.

While in Kyoto we had a day trip to Kobe. The Kobe Tower is pictured. From there I could see tyhe World's Longest Suspension Bridge linking the islands of Honshu and Shikoku.

I was keen to see how the city had recovered from the horrendous earthquake of 1995. I had after all ridden the simulator of the quake in the Earth Galleries in the Natural History Museum in London!

I had also heard of Kobe Beef and wanted to visit a farm in the area. Apparently the cows are incredibly pampered – they get to drink beer and are massaged daily to keep the beef tender!

On arrival in Kobe I was told that I “can’t see the cow – only eat!”. If I was desperate to see some cows in Japan, I was vaguely recommended to try Hokkaido, the far northern island of Japan, though the woman in Kobe tourist information could promise me nothing!

I’m not sure if I was really looking for a beer, some beef or a massage. I had to settle for a beer! The beef is of course too expensive for travelling mortals, and all the massage places looked to be aimed at corporate sorts in need of a happy ending rather than any sense of spiritual relaxation.

Comments