Langkawi retreat

This is the continuation of my RTW diary from December 2003.

Sometyimes when you are travelling, what you really need is a holiday.

By that I mean some chill out time. Some relaxation. Some down time. Haring around Asia seeing any cultural icon that was open has been amazing but it's also knackering!

So I have spent a few days relaxing on Langkawi Island in the Andaman Sea. I’ve been doing a lot of reading but I did lift my nose out of books long enough to appreciate Langkawis’ beauty.

From the enormous effervescently coloured toucans that fly wild here to the lush palette of greens that colour the jungle rainforest of the island, Langkawi is tropical perfection from the tip of it’s panoramic mountains to the tips of my toes treading the white sanded shores.

So what can you do on Langkawi apart from put too much bubble bath in the jacuzzi bath?

I took a cable-car up to the highest point. I swam a bit in the sea until I got stung on my calf by something and then trod on something else spiky while wading ashore. The sea is not my friend.

I sunbathed and read. I called home and wished a friend Happy Birthday. I did a lot of thinking and contemplating. For example: I thought about the jungle canopy walk… and then thought better of it. I thought of the parascending and jetskiing… and then thought better of those too. I contemplated the boat trip where you get dropped off on your own on one of the uninhabited outer islands. You can have the jungle and the beach all to yourselves. However my hotel had really low occupancy and the beach nearest to my chalet-room was deserted day in day out, so I had it to myself anyway. I also thouight about the crocodile farm which I then carefully avoided.

I did have lunch at a yacht club on the day I went into the main town and all in all it was a lovely relaxing time. I would heartily recommend you all to take up the London to Langkawi direct flights started in October by Malaysia Airlines. You don’t have to be as lazy as I was, but that was lovely for a few days.

Comments