Margaret Thatcher Orchid in Singapore Garden

This is a continuation of my RTW diary from November 2003.

Singapore hasn’t all been shops, organising the last bit of my travels and posting things home so I can have space enough for Christmas presents (though there has been plenty of al of that).

In Singapore I also saw the world’s biggest orchid, the Tiger Orchid. It’s flower stems can grow up to 2 metres long and it flowers only every three years or so… the one in Singapore was in bloom, so that was quite lucky. I had left my camera at the hotel though, which was not very clever. It wasn’t that pretty, but you can’t have it all I guess.

At the Orchid centre, there was a VIP section with Orchids named after various dignitaries. The Princess Diana was white with big flowers and very beautiful. The Margaret Thatcher was in blotchy shades of maroon and blonde and flowered in a kind of spiky, evil looking way... Someone had a sense of humour.

Comments