Country 26: India: Agra and the Taj Mahal

This is a continuation of my diary from my RTW trip from October 2003.

After a day of planning in Delhi, first stop on my tour round India was Agra. Not only home to the Taj Mahal, built by Shah Jahan, it also has a massive fort in the centre. I travelled there by train. Did you know that India Railways is the largest employer in the world, with 1.6 million staff?!

The Taj Mahal was quite a surprise. They do say that familiarity breeds contempt. I had a little idea that as the Taj Mahal is so instantly recognisable, seeing it in the flesh wouldn’t be particularly great. Just as I was amazed by the Pyramids though, so the Taj Mahal is equally, beautifully impressive.

Set in ornate walled gardens and flanked by two mosques, the symmetry of the setting added to the sense of tranquility and grandeur. I of course had my photo taken on the Lotus Bench pool a la Princess Diana.





Walking up to the building, which is a tomb, you have to take your shoes off. Boy was the marble hot. Toasted toes all round! After the Taj I went onto Agra Fort which was impressive in scale and afforded great views back down the river to the Taj.


The hassle from vendors here turned out to be more than anywhere else in India. They just don't take no for an answer! You have to find a way to maintain a serene calm in the midst of the pressure and the shouting in your face. If you react by doing anything other than saying no politely and quietyly it only provides entertainment for all the hawkers. The general squalor of Agra was more pronounced here than elsewhere in India too.

In the afternoon, back in the hotel I also got to see another great institution, the English rugby team, demolish South Africa in the Rugby World Cup – what a perfect perfect day!!

Comments