Temple Of Heavenly Peace

This is the continuation of my RTW diary from November 2003.

In the afternoon I had a great lunch in a Viennese coffee and cake shop outside the garden of the Temple of Heaven. A pot of tea, sandwiches and 3 cream cakes for 40p all inclusive! I told you Beijing had a lot to offer.

It’s been a great irony of these travels through the greatest tea producing countries of the world, Sri Lanka, India and now China, that I didn’t feel like I had had a decent cup of tea since I left Manchester Airport back on 8th September.

Well in the Viennese tea shop I finally got my idea of a cup of tea… The staff there put the tea together on display at a counter in the corner of the coffee house. So I went up and yes!... Without the aid of a phrasebook, I taught the Chinese how to make a decent cuppa for British tourists! It's all about the speed of getting the boiling water onto the tea leaves you see.

Afterwards I had a nice walk around the Temple of Heaven, as the temperature warmed to a balmy 10 degrees.

Comments