Why do Americans do... Airport Departure Information Boards

I arrive at San Francisco Airport. While looking for a non-existent general departure board, a perky helper hoves into view asking if I need directions which I do.

"Hi. I'm flying with American Airlines to Seattle"
"You need Terminal 3. Follow the escalator and take the red line one stop to T3."

I arrive in Terminal 3 and go to the Departure Information screen. There is no flight to Seattle on it. Confused I look around and back again at the board. I then notice that it is not the Terminal 3 Departure Information board but the Star Alliance Departure Information board. As it was opposite the United Airlines check in, the board only announced flights by that company.

I spot American Airlines at the far end of the Terminal and head over. I look at the American Airlines Departure Information screen. My flight is not on it.

I go to ask someone. Despite booking the flight on AA.com, despite the email coming from American Airlines. Despite the print out of the confirmation only containing American Airlines logos and so on it turned out that my flight was operated by Alaskan Airlines and departed from Terminal 1, a 15 minute walk away.

Why do Americans do Airport Departure Information in this least informative way possible?

Comments