Fiji: Sigatoka River Safari


When I was in Fiji I spent my last full day on the Sigatoka River Safari.

A group of 12 or so of us were put together from different hotels and off we went.

After whizzing down river and doing a few spins and what not we were told some hair curling tales of Fijian cannibalism.

Then we went to a village to meet the chief and see what traditional village life is like before sitting down to a lunch with the whole community.

Yes there may have been some imbibing of the local intoxicant.

Yes there may have been some face painting and some dancing.

And yes there were the usual range of looks on the faces of the men when they found out that I was 35 and unmarried. Exactly the same looks as on the faces of the North Koreans I was introduced to when I was in PDRK. There are always those who are astonished. Those who look at me with envy as in 'how have you managed that'. And then those who look at me with a gleam of gleeful encouragement in their eyes as if to say 'good on you son'. I haven't yet seen the penny really drop though it has to be said.

Comments