How The Locals Love The Tourists


So there I am wandering around Macquarie Point.

It's the spot where you can stand in the Botanical Gardens and see the Opera House in front of the Harbour Bridge.

It's the spot where every tourist in Sydney comes for the obligatory photo.

My family were at church. Something about the Easter Bunny being resurrected after he ate too many Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday. So I was strolling all on my ownsome, wondering how I was going to get the photo taken.

Then a friendly looking local hoved into view.
I politely said "excuse me, could I trouble you for a photo".
A world weary sigh was followed with a polite "sure thing mate". It was the kind of sigh that suggested she got asked quite a lot to take a photo of this scene.

As I readied myself for the pose she asked me "Do you want the Opera House and the Bridge?"
I replied "Yes please... the full tourist package" and smiled winningly.
The local wasn't amused, took my pic and handed me my camera back without cracking a smile.
"Thanks" I said.
"No worries" she said, clearly wishing she could just have Sydney and this view all to herself just one time without the bloody tourists getting in the way, pestering her for photos.

Comments