Plastic Ponchos and the Parammatta Eels


For months, it has been planned that tonight I would go with my cousin to see the Cronulla Sharks play the Parramatta Eels at Rugby League.

From my perspective of wintry London, I am sure I imagined a balmy Sydney twilight and I dressed with according optimism in shorts and a T-shirt for the excursion.

Little did I expect the heavens to open half way through the first half and for them to remain open until I got back to my hotel. I spent three quarters of the match wrapped in a charming see through plastic poncho.

Can I sue Paul Hogan through the Advertising Standards Agency? Should I expect compensation from Kevin Rudd? We Brits do not come Down Under for the rain!

What happened in the match I hear you ask? Well, the Sharks ended a 263 day losing streak! This seemed to be the result of 26 guys wrestling in various combinations in the mud in wet shirts and shorts. The details seem irrelevant, but I had a good time.

Pictures of me in a plastic poncho with the Parramatta Eels in the background will follow.

Comments