All I need is a toehold!


Saturday night

All I need is a toehold I told myself.


I had travelled overland in Europe enough to know that all I needed was a toehold. I just had to make it onto the continent of Europe and I would be good.

With www.db.de I worked out that if I could get to Istanbul or Athens I could get to Belgrade, Budapest, Munich and Brussels. Yes it would take 5 days, but I could be home by next weekend even if airspace couldn't reopen.

If I could get to Rome or Naples then I could get to Milan and on a sleeper to Paris.

And so I researched flights and prices through city after city after city starting with flights to Madrid and Lisbon and working East. And as each city showed full flights or flights at over £1800 I found it. A £630 one way ticket to Istanbul with Malaysian Airlines... leaving tomorrow.

So I booked the flight.

And then I checked the time and went to the Opera House. On my visit to Sydney last week I had decided to treat myself to a ticket to a concert to celebrate my last night on holiday. It turned out that despite the volcano and my cancelled flight that this would be my last night in Sydney after all.

The cello solo was sublime.

Comments

  1. What a good attitude! I'd love to go to the Opera House!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment