You Can Take Us For Free

The car group of 6 ended up being just three. Malcolm, Laura and myself.

A couple of other people had suggested interest but then melted into the crowd at Nice Ville station, voting with their feet for another undefined option. The other couple who had introduced us to one another decided in the end that they would wait until 2pm for their TGV to Paris rather than come with us.

I discovered one reason which may have put off others form joining our car expedition as we hired the car for the one way journey. When asked how long we wanted the hire for I said “one day” as Malcolm said “two days”. I looked at him. He looked at me and said “We’ll never do it in a day. We’ll need to stop over somewhere on the way”.
“Not at all Malcolm” I said confidently. “I’ve driven through France in a day before.” I lied (I’d driven through Spain in a day before, but I’d always stopped in France).
“We’ll be in Calais by 7 tonight”. I was wrong.

We were there by 6pm.

As we packed our luggage into the people carrier that Malcolm had booked for us we agreed that we would drop by Nice Airport and see if we could find two or three others who would want to come with us for a share of the petrol money.

Malcolm went in and came out a few minutes later. “The scene in there is amazing. There are camp beds all laid out and they are all having Bran Flakes!”
“Anyone interested?”
“No”. He said surprised. “Everyone thinks they are being flown home today. One couple didn’t believe they’d be flown home but said they’d only come with us if we took ‘em for free. So fuck ‘em” he said
“Next stop Calais” said Laura.

Plan L was go!

Comments