Cage The Children!


I’m not sure I’d ever take a busman’s holiday…

…but there is always something pretty nice about bumping into a party of school children in a foreign country.

It’s nice to see how children behave the same the World over. I found something viscerally reassuring when I bumped into a school trip in North Korea.

Being waved at and waiting for one of the group to pick up the courage to shout “hello how are you” is always funny. Shouting “how are you back” never fails to raise gales of giggles from the kids.

So I found it a bit weird wandering around Damascus.

Because every now and again I could hear school children at play, and I’d turn a corner expecting to see a school playground only for the noise to disappear.

After a couple of occasions it occurred to me to look up. And there they were. The children of Damascus playing in cages on the rooves of their schools.

And even from this distance, the brave ones shouted “hello how are you”, and the shy ones waited til they thought no-one else was looking before giving a little wave.

Comments