No visit to Syria is complete without...


No visit to Syria is complete without everyone telling you that no visit to Syria is complete without a visit to a hammam.

During the course of my week in Syria I went to four. And in reviewing them I have also remembered hammams that I went to in Baku and Tbilisi in August as well.

One thing that I found odd about all hammams is that the main rooms are generally wide open to the passing public. Imagine. There you are half dressed and trying to work out how to modestly exchange your trousers for a peshtemel (the light cloth sheet you wear into the hammam). When a mixed-gender party of German tourists stick their heads through the wide open door and begin a lengthy conversation about the opening hours with the fellow who runs the place.

Following on from my reviews of the swimming pools of Sydney from April, here are the hammams of 2010!

Comments