Country 68: Kosovo... A flying visit


You shouldn't trust bus timetables.

Not in London, where they are never scheduled to arrive in threes but do... (Thereby allowing a good old fashioned bysaigher however).

And never in Macedonia at least when it comes to international routes.

After a day in Skopje, I decided that I would go to Kosovo for the day. Europe's newest country is now recognised by 62 countries and even Serbia is now hinting at recognition as they come to realise that EU membership is more important than their territorial integrity... Either that or they are manoeuvering to see Rpublika Srpska secede from Bosnia. I digress.

After a lie in I headed off on the 12pm bus from Skopje to Pristina. I had checked the timetables both on line, at the bus station and by asking at the counter when I bought my ticket. My bus would arrive at 2pm and the last bus back would be at 6:30pm. I figured I could have a late lunch and a stroll around the City centre. Pristina is only little.

Thankfully the first thing I did on arrival at Pristina bus station was buy my ticket back to Skopje... Only to find out that the last bus of the day was also the same bus I had arrived on and it was leaving in 30 minutes!

I did the only thing a responsible tourist could do under the circumstances:
  • I bought a bottle of water
  • I bought a flag
  • I bought a postcard
  • I walked for 10 minutes in the direction of the city centre
  • I took a photo of the roundabout I reached
  • I turned around walked back to the bus station with 5 minutes to spare
  • I went to the loo
  • I bought another bottle of water and got on the bus
  • I even had the same seat I had sat in on the way to Pristina.
On getting home I found out that the picture of the roundabout I had taken was totally blurry though, so you'll have to do with a picture of some Kosovan poppies which I took from the bus.

Comments