LA's Limited Horizons

One of the oft-heard complaints about LA is the smog.

The weekend before I arrived, there had been a lot of rain in the city. This meant that on arrival, the air was perfectly clear and I could see the San Bernadino mountains ringing the city.

Since arrival the weather has been pure sunshine and a balmy 31 degrees. Unfortunately this has promoted the build up of smog across the city.

Even when I moved to Beverley Hills on Wednesday, the air was clear enough for me to see the Hollywood sign from my room as well as those snow-capped mountains. By the next morning though, the Hollywood sign had disappeared into smoggy gloom and it did not reappear.

Instead, over time, the horizons of the city diminished until, by the time I went to the Getty Centre which overlooks the whole city, the Downtown skyscrapers were lost to the gloomy sky-borne slick.

Does the smog and the limited horizons account for the insularity of the people I've met? If not, at least it provides a ready metaphor.

Comments