Long Beach

On my second day in LA I headed down to Long Beach and had a look around the Queen Mary.

In her time she was the largest cruise ship ever built and was 25% bigger than the Titanic. The place is open as a hotel and museum now.

The Edwardian glory is very faded though and the museum badly produced. You basically get to wander around a lot of deck and peer through some very grimy windows into blacked out rooms. The Royal Yacht Britannia in Edinburgh is much more interesting. Once I had marvelled at the length of the promenade deck, there was little else of interest. Apart that is from the vessel docked next to the QM… namely a Soviet submarine.

It is an old Delta class sub, and open to the public too. It was pretty interesting to see the conditions described so interminably in Tom Clancys earlier novels!

I could just about fit into one of the bunks, but I had my foot wedged up against some pretty important looking wiring, so its just as well I was never on active service. One wrong turn in bed and I could have launched World War Three...

Comments