Country 78: Fiji Mamanuca Islands


I spent my first day in Fiji on a boat cruise to the Mamanuca Islands.

People were picked up from different hotels and off we went as a merry crew. All sorts of individuals and pairs and a Swedish group and an American family. The latter particularly excited because we were going to an island where Tom Hanks filmed 'Castaway'. I haven't seen it. It has Tom Hanks in it.

The day was blissful. Dolphins swam with the boat as we sailed out to the islands. Snorkelling revealed a world of colour and life in the sea even at ankle depth. BBQ on board the boat was the sort of meal I hope will feature heavily on my itinerary every day in heaven. An afternoon snooze after we anchored in the swell was delightfully restful.

For some reason I spent most of the journey home listening to Rufus Wainwright's 'Greek Song' over and over.

Comments